Welcome to Maeda Lab!
We are interested in understanding how plants allocate available carbon, fixed by photosynthesis, to the production of a variety of downstream metabolic compounds. In particular, our research focuses on understanding the enzyme organization and regulatory mechanisms of the plant shikimate and aromatic amino acid pathways, to which up to 30% of total carbon is directed for the production of numerous plant metabolites (e.g., lignin, flavonoids, antioxidants, alkaloids).
- NEW Minmin's paper on tyrosine aminotransferases was accepted to Phytochemistry! - September 2016
- NEW Hiroshi and Maeda Lab received TWO awards, the Arthur Neish Young Investigator Award and the Elsevier Phytochemistry Young Investigator Award, at the PSNA meeting! - August 2016
- NEW Craig and Hiroshi both gave a talk at the PSNA meeting at UC Davis. - August 2016
- July 2016 - Samuel gave a talk and Hiroshi chaired "Metabolic Diversity" mini-symposium at the ASPB meeting at Austin, Texas.
- May 2016 - Matt and Adi both received The Hilldale Undergraduate Research Fellowships from the Chancellor Rebecca Blank. Congratulations!
- November 2015 - We welcomed a new postdoc, Marcos Oliveira from Texas A&M, Dr. Ping He's lab.
- July 2015 - Craig received the best graduate oral presentation award at Gordon Research Seminar on Plant Metabolic Engineering and was selected for the chair of 2017 GRS on PME!
- March 2015 - Our USDA grant to elucidate and engineer tyrosine biosynthetic pathways in table beet has been awarded!
- January 2015 - Craig's paper was featured on the Cover of the January issue of Nature Chem. Biol.!
- November 2014 - Craig's work on identification of legume PDH enzymes has been published in Nature Chem. Biol.! Read more.
- September 2014 - We welcomed a new postdoc, Minmin Wang, who recently obtained PhD at UC Davis working with Dr. Florence Zakharov.
- August 2014 - Our NSF grant to investigate the diversification of plant tyrosine biosynthetic pathways has been awarded!
- July 2014 - Our study on the evolution of plant phenylalanine biosynthesis has been published in The Plant Cell! See the paper and UW news release.
- July 2014 - Hiroshi and Craig both gave a Mini-Symposium talk and Samuel presented a poster during the ASPB annual meeting at Portland OR.
- June 2014 - Hiroshi gave a talk at the Banff Conference on Plant Metabolism.
- January 2014 - Three manuscripts have been accepted or published! See the updated publication list.
- October 2013 - Hiroshi gave an invited talk, entitled "Molecular Evolution of the plant phenylalanine and tyrosine biosynthesis", at the 13th International Congress on Amino Acids, Peptides and Proteins (ICAPP, Galveston, Texas).
- May 2013 - Jacob graduated UW Madison and will start a graduate school at the Biochemistry Department, University of Iowa. Congratulations and good luck with your grad study!
- March 2013 - Craig and Samuel presented their work on Tyr biosynthesis at the Midwest Section Meeting of ASPB at Chicago State University.
- March 2013 - Samuel received the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship - Congratulations!
- August 2012 - Julian joined the lab as a research scientist from USDA. Welcome to Maeda Lab!
- June 2012 - Samuel and Craig joined the lab from New Mexico and Ohio as Botany Ph.D. students. Welcome to Madison! see their pictures
- February 2012 - Kyoko joined the lab as a visiting scientist from the National Institute of Crop Science, Japan. Welcome to the US!
Maeda Lab Contact
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Department of Botany
- 430 Lincoln Drive, Madison, WI 53706 USA (Google Map)
- Birge Hall room
- B214, +1-608-262-4288 (Lab)
- B217, +1-608-262-5833 (PI office)
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: http://www.botany.wisc.edu/maeda.htm